Know Your Health through Your Hair and Scalp

Know Your Health through Your Hair and Scalp
October 21 06:34 2016 Print This Article

Does bad hair signify bad health?

Does your hair reflect your health issues? It may be possible as some medications and conditions may affect your hair. In some cases, your hair and scalp may just need extra care. This article separates myth from fact regarding your health and your hair.

Healthy hair plays important role in your personality and public appearance, losing them is something which no one wants to imagine. If hair loss is major can lead to baldness. Hair transplantation is the last solution for baldness and it has guaranteed results. In India you will get  hair transplant in Mumbai, Chennai, Pune, Bangalore and Delhi.

White flakes constitute no health risk

How does one get dandruff? According to one theory, it may be because of an overgrowth of a fungus. Oily skin, dry weather, cold, stress, obesity or having psoriasis or eczema are other possible factors which cause dandruff. However itching can be very embarrassing and annoying, but dandruff is not harmful or contagious.

Use an antidandruff shampoo every day to decrease the dandruff buildup. Leave the shampoo in your hair for 5 minutes before rinsing it off. Use the one which works best for you and if that does not help consult your doctor.


Yellow dandruff

If the dandruff flakes are yellow and greasy, then you may be having seborrheic dermatitis. It is a condition which causes skin inflammation due to excess oil glands on your face or scalp. This condition may be connected to fungus, hormones, HIV or some neurological problems like Parkinson’s disease. Seborrheic dermatitis is treated by using an antidandruff shampoo. Antifungal medications and steroids may be needed in severe cases.

What is telogen effluvium?

Hair follows a growth cycle in which about 90% of your hair follicles are producing hair at any given time and the remaining 10% is in the resting (telogen) phase after which the hair falls out within 2 to 3 months. They are substituted by new hair. Hair are pushed into telogen or resting phase due to shock to your system caused by thyroid issues, childbirth, surgery, severe stress, crash diet or some medication. The hair starts thinning or falls out after two months; this condition is called telogen effluvium. Mostly new hair starts growing immediately.

Alopecia areata

Alopecia areata is a condition in which your immune system attacks the hair follicles leading to sudden hair loss. People develop few bald patches which can be easily treated with injections but in some cases the entire body hair falls out. This condition is not contagious but causes a lot of psychological trauma to the person. Treatments help the hair to grow back quickly but few people can suffer from alopecia areata repeatedly.

90% of hair loss in men is due to genes

Hair loss is mostly hereditary, but your maternal side of the family greatly influences this trait than your paternal side. Male pattern baldness usually begins with receding hairline and then it affects the crown area. To slow down hair loss, medications like finasteride and minoxidil are prescribed.

Female pattern baldness causes hair loss mostly on the top of the head. Women tend to lose hair more slowly than the males and they rarely go bald. They can minimize thinning and boost hair growth by applying Minoxidil 5% or use oral medicines like Flutamide or Spironolactone.

Traction alopecia harm hair follicles

Tight hairstyle like braids, ponytails or cornrows can harm the hair follicles which can cause breakage or hair fall. Traction alopecia can also be caused due to hair extensions as the extra weight pulls the existing hair. Hair usually grows back if the hair style is changed but permanent hair loss can occur if the hair is pulled back tightly for a long duration.

Premature graying of hair is genetic

Gray hair is not always related to aging. If your hair turns gray before 40 then it might be hereditary. Gray hair does not indicate poor health. Premature graying may also be caused due to anemia, thyroid problems, vitiligo and vitamin B12 deficiency. To cover the gray, you can color or highlight the hair.

Nutrients for luscious locks

Hair needs protein, zinc, iron, vitamin A and omega-3 fatty acids for healthy growth. Nutrient deficiency can stun hair growth and leave the hair limp and dull. Severe nutritional deficiency can cause the hair to fall out.

Eat diet which contains whole grains, nuts, vegetables, fish, eggs, lean meat and dairy products for healthy scalp and hair. Food which is beneficial for your hair is also good for your heart.

view more articles

About Article Author

write a comment


No Comments Yet!

You can be the one to start a conversation.

Add a Comment

Your data will be safe! Your e-mail address will not be published. Also other data will not be shared with third person.
All fields are required.